When fixing a broken garage door, understanding how it works is very important. Any kind of mechanical contraption has a tendency to break with continued use. Even the door for the garage tends to develop problems after a few years. Thus, it needs periodic maintenance and occasional repairs. Here is a brief guide that will explain the mechanics of automatic doors for garages.
Understanding How It Works
There are two important parts: one is the door and the Seattle garage door repair other is the equipment that opens and closes it. Most of the issues that crop up with these mechanical doors are because either of the two is not working properly.
Garage Door Repair Tips
When the door rolls up overhead or swings upwards, a spring tension is created. Special metal tracks are placed at the top of the door to make it move upwards or downwards. When the door starts to make a creaking noise or doesn’t move easily, the problem lies with the traction. Here are some helpful repair tips:
• Ensure that the metal tracks inside the door are in good shape. The track mounts should be hinged on to the metal track. Look for signs like dents, flats and crimps in these parts. If you find damaged parts, use a hammer to straighten them out. If the damage is severe, consider replacing them.
• Check the alignment of the spring and the tracks. Both the tracks that operate the door from either side should be aligned with each other. If you find a discrepancy, loosen the screws of the track and put them back into position. You would need tools like a screw driver and spanners to fix it.
• Make sure the spring and tracks are lubricated. Use grease to lubricate them every once in a while. This helps in the easy movement of the door. Also, clean the tracks and the rollers with a damp cloth. If they are rusted, then they may be weak and may no longer respond to simple garage door repair but may need replacement immediately.
• Check the door itself and look for damages. The door may be coming off the track because it is not sturdy anymore. If the door is in poor condition you need to replace the entire door. Consider buying a new garage door in such a case.
• Check if there is something obstructing the pathway of the door. Roll-up doors especially tend to stick when there is gunk and grease accumulated in the pathways. Use a flash light for a thorough examination. Typically in this case, the door will open half way and stop.
Caution: do not attempt garage door repairs with spring and traction all by yourself. Get professional service men to help repair the tracks or replace them. Any of the parts that need replacement should be done under professional supervision. Loose parts can be extremely dangerous and injurious.