This is one of the first questions for beginners looking for their first sewing machine. Which machine to choose between an electronic or mechanical model? As we wrote in our buying guide to help you choose your sewing machine , the choice of your machine should mainly be done according to your sewing level, your projects, your needs but also your budget . To help you make your selection, we have grouped together the main advantages and disadvantages of mechanical sewing machines and electronic machines.
Mechanical Sewing Machines
This is the type of sewing machine that is recommended for beginners or people doing small sewing work occasionally. These machines are a little more difficult to handle because you have to adjust each point yourself. It may seem daunting at first, but you will quickly learn how to better control your machine. Some seamstresses appreciate, for example, being able to control and adjust their machine completely. These are the most affordable machines for people who want to start sewing on a tight budget.
- The settings are scalable and offer endless possibilities. You can adjust the stitches and thread tension of your mechanical sewing machine
- Mechanical sewing machines are cheaper than their electronic counterparts. The first prices start from 80 €
- The grip of mechanical sewing machines is more complex for beginners since the settings are done manually
- The machines are noisier
Electronic Sewing Machines
The electronic sewing machine provides access to many features that greatly facilitate the realization of your works by providing you with significant comfort. These machines are more intuitive and easy to handle for beginners because all settings are automatic. The type of points and features available on electronic sewing machines depend greatly on the price range of your machine. With an electronic sewing machine, the quality of the stitches and their finish are more accurate. These machines are also quieter but all these features come at an extra cost.
- The grip of electronic sewing machines is easier for beginners since it automates a large number of settings
- Electronic machines offer more stitches and therefore more creative possibilities than mechanical sewing machines
- Electronic machines offer many additional options that make life a lot easier. The stitch or automatic buttonhole, the speed limiter and the position of the stitched or raised needle are examples of many
- For maximum comfort, these machines are also very quiet
- Electronic sewing machines are more expensive than mechanical machines
- Replacing parts or repairing electronic cards is more expensive
What is the best sewing machine?
This is a pretty delicate question because basically there is not much difference between a mechanical sewing machine and an electronic sewing machine . It’s mostly a matter of taste and budget. Make a list of the basic features you want for your machine, then, if you have the option, try several machines in the shop to see the type of machine you are most comfortable with. Do not hesitate to consult our buying guide and our comparatives to help you see more clearly.…